Sunday, February 5, 2012

Week 5: Halftime for all

Week 5 of Winter Term. The ambivalence felt towards you is tearing me apart. 


You are great in the sense that you mark the halfway point for the term. In many ways this is fantastic, especially if you are stuck taking the Geography 202s and the Comparative Literature 102s of the academic spectrum. (I'm sure Mark Twain's biography is great, but no, I do not want to compare it to Joan of Arc's memoirs. Also, no one cares about igneous rocks.)


Alternatively Mr. Week 5, you are hell. 


As a Journalism Major, perhaps the biggest emphasis placed on any aspect of this seemingly broad career field is the importance of deadlines. Obviously the Lillis Business School kids would be drilled for turning in a project late or missing a quiz . However, met deadlines are the sole means of survival for any journalist. Miss a deadline, get fired (or worse, fail a class..) Bottom line.


Now that I have successfully scared myself, I suppose I could talk about how I have the largest project I have done thus far due Friday. Have I started? I'm telling myself I have.
Our assignment is to write a feature piece (basically a dramatized bio) on a person- any person. I have found that person, and even conducted an interview. 2 points for John. 
I have yet to listen to this interview, determine the meaning of my piece, or determine why I even chose to interview the person I did. 


I think I just threw myself out of an airplane without wearing a parachute.


This week should be a good time. Which got me to thinking- what won't I see by being occupied with school work this week?


1.) A Patriots Super Bowl parade, complete with Vincent Wilfork shirtless.
2.) A super exciting and intense Oregon Acrobatics and Tumbling match. (meet? game? event? what to even call it!?)
3.) Gonzaga win a game.
4.) A good episode of that Napoleon Dynamite show on Fox. (Can't believe Fox wasn't kidding with this show.)
5.) Oregon players declare for the draft. The madness MUST be over.


Looks like a media-free week might be just okay after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment