Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Almost Mariner'ed It...

Cue the GIANT SIGH of relief/annoyance.
In a low scoring and crazy game 7, the Canucks finally got it done. I have not posted in a while- kind of a superstition during the playoffs thing. After game 5 when the Canucks were up 3-2 instead of taking care of the sweep in game 4 I probably should have realized my superstition was utterly ridiculous, but I digress.
I will not lie, nightmares of a Blackhawk comeback crept into my head at times- actually most of the time after game 5- but the boys in blue closed it out tonight, thanks to a stunning slapper from Alex Burrows. (seen above on the right after the goal)

 The only comparison I could draw up in my head was one to the 2001 Seattle Mariners- the squad that won a record 116 games and steamrolled Cleveland in 5 games only to succumb to the Spankees in 5 in the ALCS. So much promise, and so little production. Kind of like the Vancouver- Chicago series. The first three games of the series were a breeze. Enter Roberto Luongo.

Usually, no- traditionally and historically a stud in between the pipes simply lost it in game 4 it seemed. Luckily Cory Schneider is an outstanding tender in his own right, as he posted a fanastic 16-4-2 record in the regular season. It would be fair to say he is more of a 1A goalie as opposed to a "B" option for coach Alain Vigneault. Luongo reassured everyone in game 7 however, allowing only 1 goal that, I must admit, was pretty filthy. (Jonathan Toews, you dirty DAWG!)

Nashville Predators, here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment