Wednesday, September 21, 2011

7 things you didn't know about Russia.. Or already assumed but are now confirmed.

I've been in the Motherland for a little over 3 weeks now, and boy, I've seen some stuff maaaan. Some weeeirrrddd stuffff. Anywho, below is my top list of perhaps the most intriguing aspects regarding Russian culture.

1.) Mullets are absolutely socially acceptable. And I know you think this goes just for men... not a chance- girls are proponents of the "business in the front, party in the back" look as well.
2.) Man purses- you call it European, I call it questionable. Either way, "Murses" are everywhere. (Bonus points go to those who rock the Mullet/Murse combo)
3.) Looking pissed off / tired in public. Unlike in America where people will smile at complete strangers and murmur a muffled "hello",  Russians mean-mug 24/7. You hold a door for a little old lady? You're getting a frown and if you're lucky, a nod.  Everyone looks straight ahead with a frown. ALL THE TIME. It's actually hillarious. And here's the catch- they aren't even actually mad at YOU! This was the hardest concept for me to grasp at first. It is not a sign of hostility, but simply the way they go about their business in public. At orientation we were told to put on our "Metro Faces". Basically our academic advisers told us not to look like dumbass Americans all the time. Too bad I laugh at everyone all the time here.. Whoops.
4.) Grapefruit juice + Gin. In a 16 oz. can. $1.20. Need I say more?
5.) Girls wear heels. And nothing else. American college girls would be put to shame in this country. No offense ladies- I am a huge supporter of the yoga pants / boyfriend's crewneck / uggs / greasy, messy hair- look around campus, but school is like your high school prom. Errrryday.
6.) Your typical Russian fight consists of a 1 or 2 on 10 matchup. I witnessed this first hand. I will not be throwing down in Russia despite all hopes and dreams I have of getting in a Russian club brawl. They don't mess around with the talk-talk-talk-talk... okay 1 on 1 brawl-type of fighting we see in America. There is no code of ethics. Gee go figure...
7.) Cross-walks. In America, it is quite simple, correct? White walking man = go. Red hand = stop. Simple. Russia? Nooooooo. Traffic lights are more like terrorism threat levels indicating how likely a pedestrian is to be hit by a car. We play real-life Frogger daily. No big deal.

Next post will be overdue photos! all photos! You stay classy, America. One love.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the grreatest lists I have seen in a very long time. I especially enjoy hooowwww much you emphasize with mulllttttiiiippppplllllleeeee letters in wordsssss. You're fudgin silly! heHE!!!

    Magic post. I'm trying to play frogger and laugh at mean muggin' russian cats. TOO EASY!!

    ReplyDelete