Friday, September 2, 2011

Arrival

Finally finally finally finally finally I am here! A 26 hour transit starting in Spokane and ending in St. Petersburg seemed like eternity. My journey took me through the likes of Denver, Toronto, and Frankfurt. Upon arriving we (we consists of the other 25 students in the same program) were bussed to a hotel. My first taste of Soviet Union grandeur was thrown in my face, as a massive monument dedicated to the Heroes of Leningrad engulfed the intersection where my hotel was located. This monument congratulates the members of the city of Leningrad (now St. Petersburg) for the accomplishment of surviving the Nazi siege from 1941-1945. Extreme hunger, cold, and of course Nazi soldiers were the daily occurrence for any Russian citizen at the time.

The obelisk in the center measures 175 feet tall, while the two main statues are around 40.

From left to right: Sergei, Anton, Mikhail, Ivan......

Below and around the arc is writing that commemorates the 900 days and 900 nights during which the residents of Leningrad were under siege.

Tall. Monumental. Heroic. Tall. Yep, I'd say that fulfills the Russian requirements for a statue.

Novorossiysk is commemorated here as well. It is considered one of 9 "Hero Cities" that were crucial in fending off the Nazi Invasion.
 I also had the chance to visit the Church on Spilled Blood. (Russians are masters in making any name completely dismal and sad.) I won't go into the history, but nevertheless this church was perhaps the most colorful and vibrant thing I have seen so far!
Could have sworn I was in Eugene with this rain...

Onion domes fer dayz
It is dinner time, but I will post about my living situation tomorrow. Until then, до свидания!

No comments:

Post a Comment